Biochemistry is a science that studies life processes at the molecular level. A biochemist therefore is a person involved in studying the chemistry of living systems
- An in-depth study of the chemistry of living system has revealed that;
- Enzymes catalyze many of the biochemical reactions taking place in a living cell. Many drugs act by inhibiting enzymes or by blocking the synthesis of undesirable compounds in the body.
- Subtle metabolic differences between disease-causing microorganisms and their host animals have been exploited in designing drugs that can be used to kill the microorganisms without killing the animal harboring them.
- Differences in individuals’ genetic make-up has formed the basis for paternity testing, forensic determination of crime, and individualized disease diagnosis and drug design.
- Metabolic differences between diseased states and healthy state form the basis for the chemical diagnosis of diseases.
The Department of Biochemistry of Ahmadu Bello University offers a 4-year programme or a 3-year programme depending on the student’s previous background leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.). The undergraduate training is designed to make students understand modern biochemistry and prepare them for research and advance teaching in Biochemistry. The B.Sc. programme involves intensive course work scheduled with practical classes designed to expose the students to theoretical concepts in Biochemistry, to enable the students comprehend works in virtually all areas of the subject. At the 300 level, the students are exposed to a 6 months SIWES Programme which is a skill-acquisition programme to enable the students acquire industrial skills and practical experience which prepares them for the work situation they are likely to meet after graduation. At the final year (400 level), the students take up their research project.